Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The problemmatic nature of much of the information that we have from the First Anglo-Dutch War

When I first obtained volumes of The First Dutch War, from the Navy Records Society, I treated the information as being correct, as written. There were some causes for concern, such as as Allert Janszoon commanding a ship named Wapen van Hoorn, lying in the roads off Hoorn. C. T. Atkinson assumed, apparently, that Allert Janszoon was the Zeeland captain, so I dutifully included a ship named Wapen van Hoorn or Hoorn with the Admiralty of Zeeland. I am embarrassed to say that as recently as two years ago, I had one document where I had not recognized the answer. The answer is that there was a Zeeland captain named Allert Janszoon and a Noorderkwartier captain named Allert Janszoon Tamessen. Allert Janszoon Tamessen commanded the Wapen van Hoorn (30 guns and a crew of 115 men), one of the "100 ships of 1652" funded right before the war started in 1652. Allert Janszoon, the Zeeland captain, commanded the Vlissingen Directors' ship Dubbele Arend (28 guns and a crew of 110 men). I only recently acknowledged that he served the Vlissingen Directors, because I had previously assumed that since he commanded a ship named Dubbele Arend, that ship had been built for the Admiralty of Zeeland. In fact, Vreugdenhil says that it was hired by Directors from Zeeland. Sources:
  1. C. T. Atkinson, Ed., The First Dutch War, Vol.IV, 1910
  2. Dr. S.R. Gardiner, Ed., The First Dutch War, Vol.I, 1898
  3. Hendrik de Raedt, Lyste van de schepen van Oorloge onder het beleyt Admirael Marten Harpersz. Tromp, 1652
  4. A. Vreugdenhil, Ships of the United Netherlands 1648-1702, 1938

No comments:

Amazon Context Links