Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Thursday, April 10, 2008

My concept of a compact Dutch ship of the line

In a picture book of ships that I had, there was a picture of a Dutch warship from the early 1600's. The ship had fewer than 20 guns, but the lower tier might have been 18pdr guns. When I later saw that Michiel De Ruyter's flagship during the summer of 1652 had only 28 guns, I imagined that the Neptunus was armed in a similar fashion. I was wrong, of course. His ship was just very weak. The only ship that I have seen described has having an armament like what I had seen was the Rotterdam ship named Rotterdam, which was said to have a lower tier of 18pdr guns, with a gun total of 30 guns. In June 1653, the Rotterdam had a more conventional armament, but the Staet van Oorlog te Water for the year 1654 had the 18pdr lower tier, as did lists from 1652.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Jim,

I am very impressed with your blogs. I have only superficially glanced at them and will certainly sit down one evening and devote some time to them when I have a chance. I am a big fan of 18th century naval warfare and frequently uses Age of Sail II: Privateers Bounty to run interesting simulations. I look foward to your future posts.

Regards,

Kevin

Amazon Context Links