Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Sunday, September 05, 2004

The French at Solebay in 1672

The French squadron at the Battle of Solebay was an odd collection of ships. To make up the needed numbers, they had to resort to four 38-guns ships (Hasardeux, Eole, Arrogant, and Hardi). I can really notice my lack of books that cover the French frigate-leger type in the 17th Century. I really need to get a copy of Jean Boudriot's two books about frigates and corvettes. I do have Cdt. Demerliac's book, which is simply a list of ships and data. The other three books that I own have drawings and text, which is very helpful (even if it is in French). I know that a hole in my Battle of Solebay OOB for the French has to do with "light frigates". Corbett says that they had five with their squadron, along with 8 fireships. I guess I need to go back and retrofit some frigates, so they can be out as a screen on the morning of the Dutch attack.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links