Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Privateers Bounty: Battle of Portland scenario

I'm doing more experiments with me commanding the Dutch fleet against the English. I have deliberately set the difficulty to medium. I have been employing what are now my usual tactics: take the weather gauge, don't close with the enemy, maneuver as one group, always wear, not tack. I have to say that I am amazed the the score is 70% for the Dutch and 31% for the English (the surviving force). I have fought some more, and the score is now 48% to 24%. The remaining English fleet has three 2nd Rates and a 3rd Rate, so they are able to punish the Dutch. I have been fighting this as a "fight to the finish", just to see what I can do with the Dutch. What I wasn't able to do was to finish the battle cleanly. When the big English ships are immobilized, you should be able to put ships in position to rake them, with no opportunity for return fire. You would think, then, that you could systematically "take them apart". I did finish off the Rainbow, Vanguard, and Speaker that way. The Triumph has been tougher to finish off. I just expended three ships to no effect. I shut the game down, giving it up as a lost cause. The Dutch did much better than I expected, up until the last part when I got careless while getting ships in raking position. This is just an interlude in my being sick, so I may not be functioning well (I'm sure that I'm not).

No comments:

Amazon Context Links