Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

I had seen R. A. Barker's website in the last 6 months

Richard Barker has been a contributor to The Mariner's Mirror, and he has a website. I was reminded of him while I was searching for a Mariner's Mirror index online. Richard Barker has a partial index, which I think is still useful (since I don't have any index). I had been excited when I found a reference to an R. C. Anderson note in the 1946 volume (which I have a copy) about the English 2nd Rate Swiftsure in Dutch service. I was disappointed when I checked the reference, however. I know more new information than he published, although he did correct an error in Vreugdenhil's list of Dutch ships from 1938. There are two sources of information to which I have access. Jan Glete had given me a copy of papers he had found in France in the library and archives. There is also information in Brandt's biography of Michiel De Ruyter. At least from May to July 1672, Thomas Tobias commanded the Oudshoorn, which was the renamed Swiftsure. The Oudshoorn carried 76 guns and was 159ft x 39ft in Amsterdam feet. Her crew varied from 290 sailors and 70 soldiers to 316 sailors and 15 soldiers. Brandt says that she only carried 70 guns.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links