Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I suspect that the real date for the list of Dutch warships in The First Dutch War and Hollandsche Mercurius is later than June 1652

I suspect that the real date for the list in Vol.I of The First Dutch War, which is derived from a list in the Hollandsche Mercurius, is later than June. There are a number of reasons to think that, several being the Rotterdam Directors' ship situation and partly because of the ship that probably is that of Pieter Adriaansz van Blocker. If I am correct, his ship was hired by the Hoorn Directors on 19 July 1652. I just have circumstantial evidence to back me up: the other Hoorn Directors' ship is one we know, the Sampson (30 guns and a crew of 110 men), the ship of Jan Pietersz Houck.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links