Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Friday, May 05, 2006

I continue to wonder about the old Amsterdam ship Achilles

I have previously written about the first ship in Vreugdenhil's list. This ship is called the Achilles by Vreugdenhil and in the Staet van Oorlog te Water for the year 1654. Vreugdenhil makes the claim that the Achilles carried 40 guns later in the First Anglo-Dutch War. The problem is that there is no obvious evidence of the Achilles in the published literature (or anywhere else), other than the Staet and Vreugdenhil. I just did some looking in the Staet van Oorlog te Water for the year 1633, and could not find a reference to the Achilles, although I may have missed it. I thought that I had looked at every page referencing an Amsterdam ship. I have been hoping that Vreugdenhil's notes might resolve this issue, but that has not happened, to date.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links