Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Battle of Plymouth (I commanded the English)

This morning, I ran the Battle of Plymouth scenario. I commanded the English and had the difficulty set to "Hard". I only maneuvered the English as a unit, not as individual ships, and I always kept the weather gauge. The probably kept on past the point that the real combatants would have stayed, as I repeatedly broke off, and then re-engaged. The result, when I shut down the simulator, was that the Dutch were reduced to 16% while the English were 30% of their original strength. Apparently, Privateers Bounty is not just counting ship numbers, but the strengths must be weighted in some manner. There were more than 5 Dutch ships still in action.

My conclusion is that the English must have really done poorly in the actual battle, to have not sunk or captured a single Dutch ship. We know that the tactics were pretty much "charge at the enemy", and that there was never any attempt to group even into an informal line. In the real battle, the Dutch did better than I would have expected, given ship numbers and strengths (size and armament).

Panoramic view of the Battle of Plymouth

This picture is a panoramic view of the battle, with the English with green names, in the foreground, with the Dutch, with red names, in the background.

We can see the English are clearly winning the Battle of Plymouth

This picture shows the English fleet in the foreground, with the remnants of the Dutch fleet on the far left.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links