Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Thursday, June 24, 2004

I am curious to know what sort of tactics are typically used by gamers

I would like to know what sort of tactics that sailing naval wargamers use. If I was to guess, I would assume that they use the single line, exclusively. After looking at the panoramic Van de Velde drawings, I would have to think that battles quickly devolved into melees (such as occurred after the initial attack at Trafalgar). It seems like the typical tactics used by Lord Nelson were designed to disrupt the enemy formation and allow the British to concentrate against individual ships, after the opposing line was broken.

I have thought that Lord Nelson was influenced by tales of what had been done during the 17th Century. The first 80% of the 18th Century was not very instructive. The British plan was to fight rather defensive and unimaginative battles in single line. It was not until the Seven Years War that you would see admirals like Hawke be willing to even chase. I may be exaggerating, somewhat, but British tactical ideas prior to the Seven Years War seem quite dismal. I would welcome a dissenting view.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links