Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Sunday, June 27, 2004

A change of pace: the Battle of the Virginia Capes scenario

I just got my computer set up at home, and decided to try something different, for my first simulation run. I have my own version of the Battle of the Virginia Capes scenario. Privateers Bounty has their own scenario, but I did not like it, as it starts with the two sides making contact. I wanted to start with the French leaving their anchorage, as the English approach from the sea.

I commanded the French, and set the difficulty to hard. As usual, I set the speed of the simulation near the maximum, so that the time scale was compressed.

I divided the French into three groups, at the start, so that I could deal with the different ship positions independently. One group is underway, with the wind off their port bow. Another group is starting to leave the anchorage, and has the wind on their starboard bow. The third group is just starting to sail, after weighing anchor.

The first group threatened to leave the others behind, so I had them wear, and go on the opposite tack. I finally got the three groups relatively close together, at which point I created a single group.

Just as this happened, the lead British ships arrived on the scene, at the southern end of the French group. The initial ship, a frigate, was quickly eliminated. The battle was on.

My tactics for the French were to set full sail, to maneuver as a group, using the helm, and to try to break the British in half. When the French got too close to the land, I had to quickly wear, and head to seaward, even when it was an inconvenient time.

When I shut the simulator down, the French still had 79% of their fleet, while the British were reduced to 31%. The only problem was that most of the surviving British ships were mobile, while the French were almost totally dismasted and, therefore, immobile.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links