Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Friday, November 26, 2004

Back to Privateers Bounty: Battle of the Kentish Knock

I was showing my son Privateers Bounty, running my Battle of the Kentish Knock scenario (which is available at AngloDutchWarsBlog.com). I commanded the English fleet, and had the difficulty set at Medium. At the beginning of the battle, I selected all the English ships, even scattered as they were, and grouped them. then I set the formation to the "custom" formation, where they stay together but in no particular order. Then I steered them with the helm. I took them to the southeast, to gain some searoom. The English are set up to have the weather gauge, but start the battle in poor order. I followed my rule that I never tack, but always wear (except when I lost control because of the helm following the mouse when I moved off of the helm). I sailed back and forth, to the windward, and systematically wrote off the Dutch fleet. By the eveing, the English had 83% of their fleet left, and the last Dutch ship had surrendered (the East Indiaman Prins Willem). This was perhaps the most one-sided battle that I have fought with Privateers Bounty. I can only guess that the factors included the mismatch between the numerous, large English ships and the generally small Dutch ships present. Another important factor is keeping the fleet grouped and only manuevering as a group. While doing that, I kept the Dutch ships from being able to close, until they were worn down badly. I only closed with the Dutch to finish off stragglers. The third English squadron never was able to close until I was able to sail more to the northwest, across the remnants of the Dutch fleet, before I wore the fleet and sailed back to the southeast.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links