Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Sunday, June 25, 2006

De Jonge's list for March 1653

I looked again at De Jonge's list (appendix XXII to Vol.I of Geschiedenis van het Nederlandsche Zeewezen) for March 1653. Despite there being no ship names, there is a wealth of useful information. I have written some about this previously, but I wanted to emphasize a few things, for my current reference. One is that this is the only place that I have seen the crew listed for Witte de With's former flagship, the Rotterdam ship Prinses Louise. Her crew in March 1653 was 124 sailors and 46 soldiers. By this date, her captain was Abel Roelantsz Verboom (usually just called Abel Roelants or "Vader Abel"). The crew sizes in this list are probably nominal numbers, but that is what is typically listed, anyway, except you usually do not see figures for soldiers carried. Another ship, Jan Evertsen's former flagship, the Hollandia (usually given as 38 guns, but 36 guns in this list) is listed as having a crew of 116 men (not the usual figure of 160 men). The Hollandia's captain was Adriaan Banckert.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links