Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Dutch Naval Officer: Cornelis Beekman

Cornelis Beekman served the Admiralty of Amsterdam. He was born in the province of Gelderland on 17 April 1662 and died on 21 December 1716. He was appointed as a kapitein-ter-zee extra-ordinair in 1692. He was promoted to kapitein-ter-zee in 1696. He commanded in the attack on Vigo in 1702, the capture of Gibraltar in 1704, and Barcelona in 1705. In 1716, he was appointed as Schout-bij-Nacht. Sources:
  1. Luc Eekhout, Het Admiralenboek: De Vlagofficieren van de Nederlandse marine 1382-1991, 1992.

1 comment:

Scot said...

Scot Beekman here...Is Cornelis Beekman a real person of history? I wonder if I am related. My line of Beekman is from Gelderland in the same time frame. Amazingly, the other side of my family is heavy with Cornelissen as well...could be something there. Do you know if there is anything I can read on him that is not in Dutch?

Amazon Context Links