Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Sunday, February 22, 2004

Battle of the Gabbard (12-13 June 1653)

My next scenario will be for the Battle of the Gabbard (the Two Days Battle). I have an accurate list that shows how many Dutch ships there were from each admiralty, directorate, and chamber of the VOC. I had made an attempt, late last year, to analyze which ships were actually there. The list I have (from the Nationaal Archief, in the Hague) lists only a few ship names. There are numerous references in The First Dutch War and Schetsen uit de geschiedenis van ons zeewezen to ships and captains, so I should be able to at least do a good estimate of which ships took part in the battle.

The English fleet seems easier, as there are two published lists. One is contemporary, and reprinted in The First Dutch War and the other is R.C. Anderson's attempt to refine that list.

Because of limitations with Privateers Bounty, I will have to scale down both fleets, anyway. I will retain what I believe to the the fleet organizations, at least

No comments:

Amazon Context Links