Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Saturday, July 03, 2004

Some comments about the Battle of Plymouth (I have been unpacking books, so I have not had the opportunity, yet, to post pictures)

I will post pictures from my last Privateers Bounty simulation run, sometime in the next day. I think that some comments are in order.

I ran the battle simulation up until about 5:30pm. At that time, the English were ahead, but had suffered a great number of lossed. Only 20 minutes (gametime) earlier, they were at 40% to the Dutch 19%. Percipitously, the English strength had fallen to 33%.

I have more sympathy, now, for Sir George Ayscue's situation. He had a second-line force made up mostly of hired merchantmen, many of them small. The hired merchantmen had low-quality crews and were lightly arned, in many cases. About the best of the hired merchantmen was the William (about 40 guns). The William was 700 tons, so was almost the size of the new 3rd Rates, such as the Speaker. I may well be not giving the William enough credit, giving her an armament of only 40guns. I could imagine 48 or 52 guns.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links