Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Monday, April 09, 2007

46 guns on the Prinses Louise in late 1652

I am perhaps the only one who cares about this, and most are not even aware, that Dr. Elias, in Schetsen uit de Geschiedenis van ons Zeewezen says that in late 1652, the Prinses Louise carried 46 guns. I had originally assumed that this meant that Witte de With's flagship since 1651 had its armament increased to 46 guns, which seemed excessive for a 120ft (Amsterdam feet) ship. I have seen some references to the Henrietta Louise, a ship of the Middelburg Chamber of the VOC, that call the ship the Prinses Louise. That made me wonder if the document that Dr. Elias had seen was actually referring to the East Indiaman. Witte de With's journal in September 1652 refers to an Indiaman with the fleet with 48 guns that I assume was this ship. That was why I thought that the 46 guns could refer to this ship.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links