- R. C. Anderson, Journals and Narratives of the Third Dutch War, 1946.
- Julian S. Corbett, "A Note on the Drawings in the Possession of The Earl of Dartmouth Illustrating The Battle of Solebay May 28, 1672 and The Battle of the Texel August 11, 1673", 1908.
- David Syrett, R. L. DiNardo, The Commissioned Sea Officers of the Royal Navy 1660-1815, 1994.
- J.R. Tanner, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Naval Manuscripts in the Pepysian Library at Magdalene College, Cambridge, Vol.I, 1903.
- J. C. M. Warnsinck, Admiraal De Ruyter De Zeeslag op Schooneveld Juni 1673, 1930.
Monday, October 24, 2005
English Captain: Stephen Pyend
Stephen Pyend served in the Restoration navy. The Duke of York appointed him as lieutenant on the 2nd Rate St. George in 1664. In 1665, he was lieutenant on the Guernsey. Prince Rupert and the Duke of Albemarle appointed him as captain of the 4th Rate Amity. In 1672, he was captain of the Ruby. He fought in the Battle of Solebay in the Ruby. He was assigned to Sir Joseph Jordan's division in the Blue Squadron. In August, he was assigned to Sir John Harman's division in the Blue Squadron. He fought in the Schooneveld Battles in the Ruby (48 guns), where he was assigned to Sir John Kempthorne's division in the Blue Squadron. Later in 1673, he was captain of the Sovereign. He died sometime before 1689. Sources: