Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Another simulation run of the Battle of the Smyrna Convoy

In my playtesting of my revised Battle of the Smyrna Convoy scenario, I commanded the Dutch and had the difficulty set to "Hard". I maneuvered the Dutch as a unit, until later in the evening of the first day. We got to the point where the only surviving English ship was the St. Michael (90 guns).
Before that, the Dutch fought in formation (an informal line) , and defeated the English main body, leaving the St. Michael dismasted, but still able to fight. While there was still light, the English reinforcements arrived from the far corner of the map. The Dutch turned to fight them. In a few hours of game time, the reinforcements were defeated.
There was still the St. Michael to deal with. The Dutch could have sailed off (those that were mobile), but instead, I decided to finish off the St. Michael. At this point, I maneuvered individual ships (of those that were still mobile). I gathered the ships still able to sail, and had them close the St. Michael. One of the more lightly-armed merchantman was already in a position to rake the St. Michael, but at a distance. As the night got later, the merchantman drifted out off range. I brought in the Vlissingen and Delft, and furled their sails. By this time, it was pitch dark. Ships fired to no effect.
I went off and did other things. By the time I came back, it was dawn, and the St. Michael had surrendered to the raking ships. As soon as it was light, the ships could fire accurately, and that was enough to finish the battle.
The Dutch were left in possession of the battlefield (so to speak). In the real world, they would have towed all the surviving ships into port, including surrendered English ships.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links