Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Sunday, August 29, 2004

I will upload the Battle of Lowestoft scenario momentarily

I just ran the Battle of Lowestoft scenario for Privateers Bounty, and the only thing I want to do is to set the camera position. I just ran the Dutch, and found them to be competitive. My belief is that in the real battle, attitudes were generally bad, due to political instability that eventually brought down the Republic. The fleet was also badly led by Jacob Wassenaer. They weren't helped by the fact that the government had refused to build the fleet that Tromp had wanted in 1653, but that was in the process of being fixed by 1665. The huge building program started in 1664 produced a fleet of ships that were sufficient to fight the English. I have previously outlined that building program at KentishKnock.com.
I don't see the organization and tactics to be the real problem. Many captains were incompetent and needed to be replaced. Fortunately for the Dutch, the next generation was maturing and would be equal to the task, saving the country in 1672-1674.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links