Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Thursday, August 26, 2004

The Battle at Bergen on 2 August 1665 (Old Style)

I finished playtesting and tweaking the Privateers Bounty scenario for the English attack on the Dutch East India fleet in the harbor at Bergen. I had to reduce the effectiveness of Dutch ships, as the battle is so one-sided. Since I don't have information about armaments for the Dutch ships, I felt that I may have originally made them too strong. As it is, the scenario plays "true to form": the English are easily repulsed. The harbor size seems very realistic, although it faces the wrong direction by 90 degrees, as the dutch ships fill up the entrance the way that is shown in the drawings. I don't understand Privateers Bounty, as I set all the Dutch ships to "Hard Anchor", in the scenario setup, but when running the Dutch via AI, some of the ships get underway. When I ran the Dutch, I furled the sails to settle the issue. I did NO manuevering of the Dutch and let the AI run the English. The English have a very hard time, as in the actual battle. From a purely simulation perspective, I though it worthwhile to build and run this scenario. As a game, it is less interesting, but it has its moments, even if you are commanding the English, as you do have two capable fireships (Bryar and Hound).

No comments:

Amazon Context Links