Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I keep hoping that I will find information about the ship Mars in later 1653

Reijnst Cornelisz Sevenhuijsen commanded three ships that I know of during the First Anglo-Dutch War. They all were employed by the Admiralty of the Noorderkwartier. His first ship was the Roode Leeuw (24 guns), a hired ship. The second was also a hired ship, the Profeet Samuel (30 guns). The third was the Mars, also a hired ship. I do not even have the number of guns or the crew size for the Mars in any document that I possess. I have what I believe to be the dimensions for the Roode Leeuw, although that is uncertain. I do have the gun list for the Profeet Samuel, a ship paid off after the Zeeslag bij Nieuwpoort (the Battle of the Gabbard). I have nothing about the Mars. I know that the Mars was with Witte de With's fleet on the voyage to Norway in later 1653, but that is all. I suspect that the Mars fought in the Battle of Scheveningen, but can't prove that.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links