Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Friday, June 15, 2007

The list of ships, captains, lieutenants, and writers for Amsterdam Directors' ships in March 1652

Yesterday, I received a copy of the list of ship names, captains, lieutenants, and writers for the Amsterdam Directors' ship hired in March 1652. This is a different version of a the list than I have seen before. There are some unique features. One is that Frederick Bogaert's ship was listed a "de Mars" and then crossed out, with "de Engel Michiel" written in light letters below it. In this list, Ulrich de Jager, lieutenant of the Gidion van Sardam, (who has had his first name spelled in some rather odd ways) is called Ulrich Claesz de Jager, which is what I have been using. I am not sure that I have had his middle name, but I may have started to use it in my writing, already. Hendrick de Raedt's pamphlet uses the name Gerrit van Lummen for the captain of the ship Neptunis (34 guns), but this document calls him Gerrit van Limmen, which is apparently correct. The most unique thing in this list the name Mars, which was the name of a ship hired by the Admiralty of the Noorderkwartier in 1653.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links