Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Monday, June 25, 2007

One outstanding question is the issue about the Friesland ship Gelderland

The First Dutch War mentions a Friesland ship Gelderland, commanded by Laurens Degelcamp. The Gelderland was with Michiel De Ruyter's fleet in the Channel in August and September 1652, and then was probably with Witte de With's fleet at the Battle of the Kentish Knock. One problem is that the documents that I have with Friesland ship data only mention a ship named the Groeningen Nicolaes or Groeninger Sint Nicolaes commanded by Laurens Hermansz Degelcamp. I swear that I saw a page that gave the name Gelderland to a ship with the same specifications as the Groeningen Nicolaes, but I can't find the page to verify that fact. Based on my large but limited set of information, this is still an unresolved problem. Carl Stapel may know the answer, but I do not.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links