Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Monday, May 03, 2004

After Jan Glete's research results, I will need to revise my Battle of the Sound scenario

Jan Glete's perseverance in finding the truth about the Cogge and Waegh means that I need to revise my estimate of their size and armament. Jan Glete found that both ships were hired by city of Amsterdam and sent with the fleet to the Sound. He found reason to believe that the Cogge may have been previously hired by the Danes (during 1657).

Instead of believing them to be 132ft x 32ft x 13-1/2ft, I would venture to guess that I should make them 128ft x 31ft x 12ft (Amsterdam feet of 283mm). I suspect that would be close to what they were. We really don't know. For example, some of the Amsterdam Director's ships hired in 1652-1653 were quite large. I think that they may have been rather small. In the Battle of the Sound, they carried 40 guns, but only a crew of 140.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links