Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Saturday, May 29, 2004

A Battle of Portland simulator run

I did a long run of the Privateers Bounty simulator with the Battle of Portland scenario. I decided to see how the English would do, under my control. I usually command the Dutch, but I thought I would test the relative strengths of the English and the Dutch.

My conclusion is that the English should be dominant, and they should have done better at Portland. I suspect that Blake was gunshy, after he was wounded and Richard Deane was killed on the first day. His flagship, the Triumph (62 guns) had heavy crew losses as well. By the end of the third day, the Dutch were desparate, and ready to make a last stand with what little ammunition was left. At nightfall, Blake withdrew, and let the Dutch escape.

I took four pictures on the afternoon of the third day. Here is an example. I have more pictures posted at AngloDutchWarsBlog.com.

Dutch ships in late afternoon of the third day of the Battle of Portland

This picture is from the third day of the battle of Portland. The time was about 4:45pm. At this point, the English had lost enough ships so that the sides were about equal in number.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links